Meatloaf with lots of Love...

Meatloaf recipe


This has quickly become a family tradition when Habibi gives his thumbs up. That is important to me because that means 1 dish less to cook! Yes it's that complicated here at the Fadl's household. It makes a big difference to me when at least 2 family members are agreeable to a dish, that makes more sense to even start preparing it. I can eat almost anything, but my son has a rather asian taste - and would want his rice and assam pedas more often than I like preparing it :p Since today is meatloaf day, he got his assam pedas fix, but couldn't stay off the mashed potatoes I made to go along with it (meatloaf).

Well, this is one that I am happy to make anytime. It's so easy and healthy as I included some vegetables in it and wouldn't take much of my time. The problem with online recipes that I scout for, is usually I end up mixing up 2 or more recipes together. I didn't like what allrecipes has to offer, although they are usually my favourite go-to site, and went instead for Classic Meatloaf Recipe at simplyrecipes but I didn't like the glaze there (just ketchup? come'on!) If it's too simple, I just get disinterested, I just like more challenge I suppose - so I searched and found Alton's meatloaf recipe - and used his glaze recipe. I also liked that he used thyme for the meatloaf, so I added it to the original simplyrecipes one. 

You almost can't go wrong with meatloaf, as you can with steaks -Too tough, too dry, uncooked, smoky kitchen, etc. Again, with minced, you always get a perfect piece of meat no matter what you whip up. Making meatloaf is so easy I don't even need to explain. But basically you heat a bit of butter in a pan, and start cooking up all the veges (in blue). Leave it to cool slightly before mixing it up with the minced meat and the other ingredients and then plonk it into a lightly greased loaf tin. I didn't have a loaf tin when I first made this, so I just shape it with my hands and bake it on top of a flat tray lined with foil. It works just fine, then I walked past Lakeland and they were having a sale, so I well, couldn't resist getting the loaf tin. Prepare the glaze, and smear it liberally on top of the loaf, that will give you the red-brown effect you want on the outer later of the meatloaf. Pre-Heat oven at 170deg Celsius and bake for 45mins to 1 hour. The best part is, the leftover is so versatile. Have it in your sandwich, or break it up for tomorrow's spaghetti Bolognese, why not? 


  



 Prepare these veges ahead. 
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup of minced onion
  • 1 celery rib, minced
  • 1 Tbsp minced garlic
  • 1 carrot, minced
  • 1/2 cup of minced green onion, including the onion greens
  • 2 teaspoon salt (use 1 1/2 teaspoons if using Italian sausage)
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/3 cup ketchup

  • Mix these ingredients with the cooked vegetables
  • 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef (chuck)
  • 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
  • 2 large eggs, beaten slightly
  • 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme

    FOR THE GLAZE

  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • A dash of Worcestershire sauce
  • A Dash of hot pepper sauce (tobasco)
  • 1 tablespooon honey


As sides, serve your favourite salad, mashed potatoes or baked, or just blanched peas. Whatever works for you.

Easy peasy mashed potatoes recipe :

Boiled peeled and cut up potatoes
Milk (1/2 - 1 cup, depending on how much potatoes)
Salt
Pepper
Butter (1 tblsp)

Send these to the food processor and you'll have a silky smooth mashed potatoes for any occasion. 

Want some brown sauce to go over the meatloaf and mashed potatoes?

Butter
1 onion (chopped)
1/2 cup chicken stock (or 1/2 cube)
Juice from meatloaf 
Cornstarch for thickening
Salt & Pepper to taste

Heat some butter in the pan, and then fry chopped onion until brown. Add the "juice" from the meatloaf that's cooking up in the oven, and add a bit of chicken stock to it. Finally add about 1tblspoon of cornstarch to thicken. Salt & Pepper to taste

Comments

Popular Posts